Service-oriented Oral and Facial Surgeon with 29 years experience in clinical patient care to include education and training of medical and dental residents. A retired Naval Surgeon of 23 years exemplifies adaptability, excellent communication, and time management skills.
VA San Diego Healthcare System - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
San Diego, CA
05/2016 - Current
· Perform surgery to prepare the mouth for dental implants, and to aid in the regeneration of deficient bone and gum tissues.
· Treat infections of the oral cavity, salivary glands, jaws, and neck.
· Provide emergency treatment of facial injuries including lacerations and fractured facial bones.
· Responsible for teaching, mentoring, and lecturing to Dental residents that rotate annually, as well as Medical residents from the UCSD School of Medicine.
Mirage Center-Oral Surgery - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Rancho Mirage, CA
10/2013 - 05/2016
· Practiced full scope Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Private Practice setting
United States Navy - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
06/1992 - 10/2013
· Department Head; Oral Surgery and General Dentistry, USS Ronald Reagan Aircraft Carrier (CVN 76) and USS George Washington Aircraft Carrier (CVN 73), Sept 2011 - Oct 2013. Responsible for leading, organizing and planning patient care for 6,000 sailors.
· Department Head; Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Robert E. Bush Naval Hospital, Marine Corps Base 29 Palms, June 2009 - Sept 2011. Organized patient care of over 10,000 Marines as well as education and training of 4 surgical technicians and 17 General Practitioners.
· Executive Officer (XO), Alpha Surgical Company, Al-Asad Hospital, Iraq, Feb 2004 - Oct 2004. Organized a Doctor/Nursing/Supportive staff of over 150 to help plan treatment of wounded soldiers to include live combat operations.
· Officer in Charge (OIC) Dental Platoon; Operation Iraqi Freedom, Camp Okinawa, Iraq, Feb 2003 - Sept 2003. Planned and organized treatment of Dental patients utilizing 6 Dentists and 11 Hospital Corpsman.
· 1st Place, Poster/Table Clinic Presentation, Traumatic Lingual Nerve Injuries Following 3rd Molar Extractions - San Antonio, TX 1998
· 2nd Place, Academic Research Competition, Treatment of Oral Chronic Graft vs. Host Disease with Intraoral PUVA Therapy - San Diego, CA 2008
· Case Report: Use of Dexmetetomidine (Precedex) for outpatient Oral Surgical Procedures in Autistic Patients - Naval Medical Center, San Diego, September 2006.
· Case Report: Treatment for Radiation Induced Myositis - Naval Medical Center, San Diego, November 2008
· Multifocal Squamous Odontogenic Tumor; Resident Research Competition, California Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Newport Beach, CA, October 2007
· The Use of Botox for Treatment of Temporalis Tendonitis; Annual Meeting, Southern California Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Palm Springs, CA February 2009.
· California Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
· American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
· California Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons - Anesthesia Site Examiner
· Meritorious Service Medal - 2013
· Navy Commendation Medal x 2 - 2005, 2011
· Navy Achievement Medal x 2 - 1997, 2004
· Presidential Unit Citation - 2004
D.D.S - California #58935
Naval Medical Center
San Diego, CA
M.D. : Residency in Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery
University of Texas Health Science Center
San Antonio, TX
M.D. : Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
Loma Linda, CA
D.D.S : Dentistry
La Sierra University
Bachelor of Science : Microbiology